The Dementia Support Service is a service provided by the Macedonian Welfare Association and is a new service for the Macedonian Community in the Illawarra.
This service is made possible through funding from the Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing and is intended for people with dementia from a Macedonian background and their carers.
The program complements other services provided by MWA such as Centre Based Aged Care, Centre Based Respite Care and Carer Support.
This service aims to:
- Raise the level of awareness in the Macedonian Community about dementia
- Provide emotional support to the carers and families of people with dementia
- Provide practical advice and education to the carers and families of people with dementia
- Provide practical advice and education to the Macedonian Community via Macedonian Media channels
- Plan and implement appropriate programs for individuals, groups and family members.
- Network co-operatively with other Dementia related service providers in the Illawarra as well as
- Provide education and support to existing local support group facilitators in relation to Dementia Support services
If you require an interpreter on the phone, call TIS (Telephone Interpreter Service) on 131 450 and ask to speak with someone in Macedonian Language and be put through to the number below.
National Dementia Hotline
FREECALL 1800 100 500