Macedonian Respite and Aged Day Care Services are one of the largest projects of Macedonian Welfare Association from Port Kembla.
This program is made available through funding received from the Australian government through the Department of Health in particular through their Commonwealth Home Support Program - CHSP
The aim of this project is to enable the frail aged as well as younger people with disabilities to live independently in their homes.
Their participation in the programs of Respite and Aged Day Care increases their level of safety and the quality of life and also contributes to the avoidance of the untimely placement in State Institutions, Nursing Homes, etc.
At the same time the service provides daily respite for carers of the frail aged and younger people with disabilities.
Respite and Aged Day Care Centres
There are five Respite and Aged Day Care centres that cater for the people from Macedonian background living in Illawarra region. Each of these centres cover different part of Illawarra so that the people in need of Respite and Aged Day Care can participate in and use the services of at least one of these centres.
- Every Monday
- The Respite care group uses premises of Port Kembla Senior Citizen’s Centre. This group encompasses the residents living in the central suburbs of Illawarra.
- Every Tuesday
- The Aged care group uses premises of Port Kembla Senior Citizen’s centre and encompasses the residents living in the southern region of Illawarra in the area of Shellharbour.
- Every Wednesday
- The Aged care group uses premises of Sassafras Room at Dapto Ribbonwood Centre and encompasses the residents living in the south-western suburbs of Illawarra.
- Every Thursday
- The Aged day care group again uses premises of Port Kembla Senior Citizen’s Centre and again encompasses the residents living in the central suburbs of Illawarra.
- Every Friday
- The Respite care group uses Grevillea 1 room at Corrimal Community Centre and encompasses the northern suburbs if Illawarra starting from Wollongong and all the way to Thirroul.
- Transport from home to the centre and back is offered to all participants living in the corresponding area of the respite and aged day care group. We ask for a small financial contribution towards the cost of the fuel and maintenance of the mini bus.
- In the morning, tea and coffee while for lunch we serve hot meal prepared in Macedonian tradition. Small financial contribution is sought towards the cost of the produce materials used.
- Playing cards, trouble game, domino, chess and other games; colouring, cutting and pasting; knitting using wool and thread, tapestries, hand craft, and making decorations, using different new and recyclable items.
- Information Sessions
- We organise guest speakers and information sessions about the newest changes in the services offered to the elderly people that affects their everyday life. We also invite guest speakers from different fields to talk about the health, safety in the home and public places, healthy food, financial advice, Social Security, Home Care etc.
- We organise get together meetings with Macedonian groups from other cities in NSW, as well picnics and visits to various tourist attractions and festivals throughout Illawarra, Sydney and Canberra. Also, twice a year we organise visits to the local nursing homes that have Macedonian residents living in there, specifically in the pre Christmas and pre Easter periods.
For more Information contact:
Macedonian Welfare Association of NSW Inc. Port Kembla Respite and Aged Care Services Co-ordinator Telephone: 4275 2266.
Wollongong City Library Community Information branch on 4227 7648.
Commonwealth Carelink Centre 1800 052 222
Aged and Community Care Information Line under the Department of Health and Ageing 1800 500 853
Directly in the Respite and Aged Care Centres on the working days which are:
Monday – PK Senior Citizen Centre Allan Street, Port Kembla Tel: 4276 9182, 9.00am – 2.00pm
Tuesday – PK Senior Citizen Centre Allan Street, Port Kembla Tel: 4276 9182, 9.00am – 2.00pm
Wednesday – Dapto Ribbonwood Centre Princes Highway, Dapto Tel: 4251 7777, 9am – 2.00pm
Thursday – PK Senior Citizen Centre Allan Street, Port Kembla Tel: 4276 9182, 9.00am – 2.00pm
Friday – Corrimal Community Centre Short Street, Corrimal Tel: 4285 6966, 9.00am – 2.00pm